How I typically mess up giving

So all this talk of giving this week leads me to one final point. How do I typically mess up the idea of giving? I know I do it and I think, if we’re honest, a lot of other people do too.

I focus on the giving and what I’m doing with it and whether I can afford it or not. But, like many, I have taken what the Bible says about giving and made it entirely about checking an item off a list. I’ve fallen into a works-based system that has nothing to do with what Jesus is trying to accomplish through the gospel.

The truth is he’s after my heart, not my money. Instead of seeing that, I check off my giving 10% and then assume I can do whatever I want with the other 90%. Living life for him means everything. Instead of seeking the heart and glory of God, I try to make sure the checklist is complete so I can do what I want. In that line of thinking, I’m missing the point and stealing glory from God, which, in my experience, is not the best thing to do.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s